ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (AI) COURSE
Would you like to assist instructors with open water diver courses and collect valuable teaching experience to become a diving instructor? Then qualifying as an SSI Assistant Instructor is the right program for you! Learn to teach new divers academics and confined water skills under the supervision of a scuba instructor.
The Assistant Instructor rating is the next step after becoming a Divemaster along the scuba instructor pathway. It allows you to collect valuable teaching experience, practice briefings, teach academics, and conduct in-water training. If you want to further your career as a dive professional, you can finish the Instructor Training Course, pass the Instructor Evaluation, and become an Open Water Diving Instructor.
The Assistant Instructor program consists of:
- Online Study - You will study the ecofriendly digital training materials at home. Approximately 10 hours of reading, videos, and quizzes.
- 4 days of in Instructor lead classroom. Typical schedule would include: Orientation and paperwork, lecture and active learning sessions.
An SSI Assistant Instructor is qualified to:
- Present the academic portion of the Open Water Diver course under the indirect supervision of an Instructor.
- Evaluate the confined pool skills of the Open Water Diver course, with the exception of the emergency accent skills, under the indirect supervision of and Instructor.
- Conduct surface skill evaluations during the Open Water Diver course training dives. under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
- Teach and certify students in: Try Scuba, Scuba Skills Update, all ecology courses, Altitude, Boat, Computer, Equipment, Navigation, Perfect Buoyancy, Photo & Video, Science of Diving, and Waves Tides and Currents, specialty courses. Additional training may be required to teach some of the listed specialties.
- Divemaster certification
- 18 years old
- 60 logged dives with 40 or more hours underwater.
- First Aid & CPR and emergency oxygen training within the last 24 months (React Right course)
- Diving Medical Statement dated and signed by a physician within the last 12 months
What you'll need
- Total Diving System including mask, snorkel, fins, boots, wet suit, hood, gloves, BCD, regulator, alternate air source, dive computer, SPG, knife, compass, deployable surface marker buoy, tanks, whistle, and weights.
- SSI Wetnotes.
- Dive Briefing and Guiding Evaluation Slate.
- Buddy Team Log Slate.
SSI Registration Fee: $70.00
Course Fee: $1048.95, includes training materials.
Please call for course schedule.